Updated December 13, 2014
One cannot ignore Virginia when engaging in GILLIAM research. As one can see from the 1840 Census, most Gilliams lived in Virginia and those states that bordered Virginia. This pattern continued through the 1920.
Information on this website is arranged by County and then within in each County by type of source document—Chancery Causes, Deeds, Wills, etc. These sources are listed alphabetically.
Each page begins with County Formation and Background and information on the early Parishes of that particular County.
Genealogical information is summarized in a County Overview.
Occasionally, following a particular record, explanatory information will be included. Such "editorial" comments are set off in brackets [...].
Information on names similar to GILLIAM are, at times, included for clarity's sake. For example, the Gilmans of Hanover County may be found on the Hanover County Page.
Each County Page concludes with a list of Sources.
Preceding the list of Virginia County Pages in the Side Bar is . . .
- What's New you will find a list of new pages
- Search, where you will be able to search the entire site.
- Foundations you will find information about the spelling and pronunciation of the name as well as the coat of arms.
- County Formation speaks to the importance of looking at the history of a counties geography as County lines often change and as Counties have often split during Virginia's history.
- Fact or Fiction addresses some of the most common Gilliam genealogical errors
- Allied Families you will find information on families that married into the Gilliams of Virginia and/or used the surname Gilliam as a given name.
- Given Names traces a given name through Virginia records
- The Topical Pages compiles statewide information by topic such as all the Gilliam land patents and grants
These pages have a GRAY SIDEBAR
Following the Virginia County Pages in the Side Bar is . . .
- City/State/Country Pages documenting Virginian Gilliams that have removed to other states
These pages have a GREEN SIDEBAR
The following icon indicates that I have on file a copy of the original document.
(See Halifax County, Will of Richard Gilliam, Inventory of Richard Gilliam, Account of Sale of Estate of Richard Gilliam)
Copyright, Fair Use, etc.
I along with the help of several fellow GILLIAM researchers, in particular Mary Ellen Baker, Bonnie Flythe and Helen Sills have devoted many hours to compiling the information found on this site. Copyright of the information found at GILLIAMs of Virginia is held by Gregory A. GILLIAM, except as noted in sources.
None of the information found at GILLIAMs of Virginia may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means, including, but not limited to, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Gregory A. GILLIAM.
Any unauthorized use of any information found at GILLIAMs of Virginia may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and communications regulations and statutes.
Permission is granted to download and print information found at GILLIAMs of Virginia for personal, non-commercial use only. This permission terminates automatically if you breach any of these terms or conditions.
By using the information found at GILLIAMs of Virginia you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by the above.
Gregory A. GILLIAM may at any time revise these terms.`