Gilliam Place Names (names of Gilliam Estates and Plantations)
Updated March 13, 2016
Dr. Randolph Moore Gilliam, son of Richard James Gilliam and Marion Mildred Perkins stated that he was born at Walnut Lawn, Albemarle.
Beulah, John Branch Gilliam is reported to be "of Beulah" in the Virginia Historical Index's Survey Report of Plank Road Academy. Beulah has not been located.
Osceola also known as Ossie Ola, owned by John Gilliam and Judith Robertson, his wife.
Millcote, owned by Captain Edward “Ned” J. Gilliam
Planterstown, owned by Isham Richardson Gilliam and his heirs. Go south from New Store 4.2 miles on Route #609, thence east .4 mile on private road to the house down a very steep hill.
Traveller’s Rest west of New Store, owned by Isham Richardson Gilliam and Sarah Johns, his wife.
Landover, two miles from Naruna on Falling River, owned by Dr. Glover Davenport Gilliam and Elizabeth Bolling Jones, his wife.
Violet Bank, owned by Elizabeth Smith Shore, the wife of Dr. John Gilliam (1790-1843). Formerly owned by Thomas Shore, the father of Elizabeth. On February 14, 1823, Elizabeth Shore, of Violet Bank, in Chesterfield County, entered into an agreement prior to her marriage to John Gilliam of Petersburg, in which she conveyed to Robert Gilliam, Jr. and John Fitzhugh May, both of Petersburg, as Trustees, her interest in the property devised by Thomas Shore and inherited by her by reason of the death of her sister, Jane G. Shore. The trustees were to hold this property for the life of John Gilliam and then for the life of Elizabeth, with the power to sell only upon the written request of both Elizabeth and John. Elizabeth retained the power to devise the property by her will and if not devised by her will, then it was specifically to be inherited by her rightful heirs.
Gilliam’s Tavern, owned and operated James Gilliam, Jr.
Carter M. Gilliam, son of Charles Manning Gilliam, inherited Rose Cottage before 1852.
In 1857 Charles W. Gilliam, son of Isham Richardson Gilliam, lived at Rose Hill. Charles’ brother Edward lived at Barter Hill in 1859 and then at Auburn in 1876. By 1936 Barter Hill had fallen into the hands of Miss Gay Gilliam, the daughter of Virgil Archer Gilliam, son of Edward.
Burnt Quarter, about five miles southwest of the village of Dinwiddie owned by Col. John William Gilliam, Sr., and Mary Elizabeth Coleman Goodwyn, his wife. The house was built about 1737 by Robert Coleman. The estate received it name when Tarleton burned the Coleman’s grain quarter. Thus the name Burnt Quarter. Later, at the close of the Civil War, the home was in the line of fire at the battle of Five Forks.
Hatcher’s Run, Willed by Dr. James Skelton Gilliam to his son Robert along with “Skipwtihs,” “Fishers,” “Boisseaus,” and Traylors.” However, a codicil to James’ Will gives Hatcher’s Run to son Theophilus F. Gilliam.
The Codicil to the Will of James S. Gilliam directs that his “Fluvanna Plantation” be sold. When sold in 1827 by John Gilliam and Theophilus F. Gilliam to Overton B. Pettit, the tract contained 340 to 400 acres of undivided land.
Elk Island, Willed by Lucy Skelton Gilliam, wife of Robert Gilliam to her sons John Gilliam and James Skelton Gilliam.
Fishery at Upper End of Elk Island once owned by John Gilliam, son of Robert Gilliam and Lucy, was purchased from John by his brother James S. Gilliam. James’ Will directs that it be sold.
Tuggles once owned by Randolph Harrison was directed to be sold by the Will of James S. Gilliam.
City of Hopewell
Weston Manor, William Gilliam and Christian Eppes, his wife. Mentioned in the Will of John Gilliam, dated 15 July 1819. Weston was part of Cawson’s and was acquired from Robert Bolling by deed dated 1 Oct 1786.
Buena Vista, owned by Richard James Gilliam and Catherine Elizabeth Thornton, his wife.
Gilliam’s Island, in the James River and adjacent to the Spring Valley tract of Richard James Gilliam.
Lower Maiden’s Adventure on the James above Fine Creek, owned by John Gilliam and Mary Jefferson James, his wife. Previously owned by Charles Fleming.
Somerset, near Ballsville, owned by James Gilliam, Jr., and Susannah his wife. Formerly owned by the McLaurines.
Spring Valley , owned by Richard James and Catherine E. Gilliam. Spring Valley, adjacent to Charles Carter Lee’s, Windsor Forest, Fine Creek, and Gilliam’s Island in the James River.
Prince Edward County
Price Place, the home of Anthony Woodson Gilliam, 4 miles southwest of Prospect, Virginia. 3.3 miles southwest on Route #460: thence .7 mile west (right) on Route #609; thence .5 mile west (left) on Route #627, right side of road
Prince George County
Arlington, owned by Dr. James Skelton Gilliam, Sr., (1763-1814) and Mary Feild, his wife. James Wills this tract to his son James Skelton Gilliam, Jr. Included in the bequeath were two tracts apparently known as “Pringlas” and “Gracess.”
Blackwater Plantation bequeathed by James S. Gilliam to son Marias. However, a codicil to James’ Will gives the Blackwater Plantation to son Robert Gilliam.
Charles, mentioned in the Will of John Gilliam (1712-1774) and likely the 241 acres patented by John Gilliam in 1663 and became the home of Charles Gilliam, son of John.
Halls Marsh, Harris’ Marsh, On 14 February 1761, 13 acres was patented consisting of two islands in Appomattox River one of them opposite to John Gilliam's house known by the name of Halls Marsh and the other next above the same known by Harris’s Marsh
Mitchells, owned by John Gilliam (1762-1823) and Hannah Sampson, his wife. Formerly owned by the Mitchell family from 1670-1728.
Monte Alto also known as Montallo, once owned Reuben M. Gilliam and later Dr. James Skelton Gilliam, Sr., (1763-1814) and Mary Feild, his wife who bequeathed it to their son John Gilliam. James states that it was the place of his nativity suggesting that it was first owned by Reuben and James’ father Robert Gilliam.
Spring Hill, owned by John Gilliam and Jane Henry, his wife and bequeathed to Walter Boyd Gilliam his son of then sold it to John Gilliam (1762-1823) and Hannah Sampson, his wife.
Thorny Point Island, Back Creek Island, Bread Street Island and Rose Mary Lane Island, On 23 Dec 1714 John GILLUM, received a grant of 324 acs. 23 Dec 1714 in Prince George County, being four Islands, Thorny Point Island, the next below it Back Creek Island, divided from this by one Channel called Pye Alley, the next below called Bread Street, divided from this by a Channel called Crooked Lane, & Rose-Mary Lane Island divided by Channel called Rose Mary Lane. The islands, excepting Breadstreet, were Willed by Dr. James S. Gilliam to his son John. James also notes that the islands were once owned by Reuben M. Gilliam. James wills one moiety of Breadstreet to his son James, Jr., and the other to son Theophilus.
Tusculum, owned by Marias Gilliam and Rebecca S. Dunant, his wife.